Turmeric has the power to turn everything golden, a kind of Midas touch in the kitchen. This super easy Basmati rice casserole with turmeric will inebriate the house with its typical aromatic scent.
Turmeric basmati rice casserole with broccoli cream
I could have chosen saffron instead, but I think turmeric, the indian saffron, as well as being cheaper, matches basmati rice perfectly .
When it comes to proper risotto, I obviously use saffron, but just to jazz white rice up, I prefer turmeric by far.
Its aroma is a love-hate matter, you love it or you hate it, there’s no middle ground.
Fortunately I adore it, but in the right amount and here comes the hitch.
It’s really easy to make a mess of things overdoing it…beyond repair…yes, been there, done that, thrown everything out and started over! So I prefer adding it a little pinch at a time instead of all at once.
This turmeric basmati rice casserole with broccoli was not planned the way it turned out. It should have been something else, probably I’ll remake it in my original vision. I don’t know about you, but for me almost 90% of the time I come up with completely different dishes to what I originally planned. .
Let me say it is not a fast preparation, but it’s worth the effort.
It’s really delicious and it lasts for a couple of days…if it doesn’t disappear in the meanwhile.
Let’s come to the macros * of the recipe
The nutritional facts label is at the bottom of the post.
How much does this dish cost **?
To make this dish, I spent a total of € 1.40 and € 0.70 per portion. Cheap and put together in less than 60 minutes!
To prepare this turmeric basmati rice casserole you’ll need
- silicone plumcake tin
- 2 pots
- baking paper
- 60 g Basmati rice
- 50 g egg whites
- 1 pinch curry
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 250 g broccoli
- Cook the basmati rice in water,then remove it from the heat 5 minutes before it's done (it will finish cooking in the oven).
- Let it cool down and set it in the mixing bowl.
- Add all the spices along with egg whites mixing uniformly.
- Pour it in a silicon plumcake tin (mine was 20x10 cm wide) lined with baking paper, but it can easely fit any other shape.
- Level the surface evenly and pop it in the oven at 180°C for 30 minutes.
- Pull it out and let it cool down.
- While the rice is broiling in the oven, cook the broccoli in abundant salted water.
- They are done when soft but firm, check with a fork , try not to overcook them.
- Blend the broccoli adding a ladle of water to make it smoother, add a pinch of salt.
- Poor the broccoli cream on the rice and spread it evenly.
- Pop it in the fridge at least 2 hours before serving.
Enjoy and have a great day,
When you make one of my recipes, take a picture, tag me on instagram@lemabor, I’ll be very glad to see your creations !
Let’s be friend on Pinterest.
You may also like:
Don’t forget to share the love ❤
Note: * and ** read the disclaimer in menu bar.
Go to top